Thursday, March 4, 2010

Green Rice & Vegetable Stir Fry




Last night's dinner consisted of one of my new favorite "quick and easy" meals: Stir Fry. While I am generally not a huge fan of Chinese food in restaraunts, I do enjoy a fresh home made stiry fry and it seems everyone else at home does too.

I usually make it as an end of the week meal and use up left over veggies, but my mainstay vegetables for stir fry are red and green peppers, mushrooms (plain old button ones), broccoli, and carrots. Last night I added some water chestnuts, spinach and scallions. You could use whatever veggies you have on hand (peas anyone?). I make a quick sauce consisting of 1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp water and then whisk in 2 tbs of low sodium soy sauce, about 1 inch worth of minced fresh ginger, 2 tsp of some sort of chile sauce, 1 tsp sesame oil, and 2 cloves of minced garlic. You could also leave out the ginger and garlic and use about 1 tsp of Chinese Five Spice. Whisk it all together, and then when your veggies are stir fried to the level you like (I like mine with a little "bite" to them) pour the sauce over the veggies and mix a little more.

I like to serve my stir fry over rice, and my rice of choice these days is Lotus Food's Jade Pearl Rice. It's a pearl rice mixed with bamboo extract. I like it becaus it is light in flavor and cooks in 20 minutes. It's rich in chlorophyll, fiber, iron, vitamin C and magnesium. It's a great choice if you love white rice but want to try something a little less processed and don't really like brown rice. In fact I recommend all of Lotus Food's rices. They are all yummy.

I also like to cook some tofu slices till they are nice and brown and crispy and put them on top of the stir fry. Altogether it makes a great, hearty meal that satisfies husbands and children alike (some kids love foods that are funky colors, and so green rice can be really fun). Last night I served some pineapple chunks and madarin orange slices on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment